Pages

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Saturday, April 4, 2015

celebrating easter






our little patch of grass (wheat grass) 




Happy Easter.
There have been many questions asked over the past few days in this house about Easter, holidays, and celebrations. To be honest, I'm not sure what to say.
In our home, we acknowledge and follow a pretty simple practice of Christianity. We used to attend church when we lived in Whitehorse, and will continue to go to church when we move to our next posting. I think that it's valuable to give children, the knowledge and understanding of spirituality, however one chooses to do so. My spirituality (with all it's ups and downs) has helped me over the years, and I would like to think that it will be a comfort for my children as they grow up.
Then we have the time old Easter Bunny issue. In all honesty, I am not sure if I feel comfortable with mixing the Easter Bunny with the Easter Story together. One is materialistic: about treats and novelties, while the other is the most important grounding story in Christianity. How do they come together?
In our home, the Easter Bunny comes, but I feel like it would be more appropriate to name him the Spring Bunny. I have no issue with a little bit of magic and surprise, and I like celebrating the changing of seasons, I think it is a grounding ritual for children (and adults too). So we will do the Easter Bunny and egg hunt, but I like to make sure that the children understand what the real meaning of Easter is. Or at least understand it to the extent of what they can.
So there you have it. Easter celebrations and Spring celebrations. Childhood magic, and the mystery of the Easter Story. I am happy with our interpretation of it all.
xox


1 comment:

Oh goody....I love comments!