Pages

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Friday, August 15, 2014

two roads project :: corner


corner

Johanna (left): One way for my life to feel a little less chaotic, is to be organized and to have a tidy home. We try so hard to stay on top of it, but I find that it can quickly get away from us.
One of my favourite ways to feel a breath of fresh air in the house, is to organize/declutter and set up a little "corner" ... or display if you will. 
I often like to include a nod to what season it is, through art, flowers or little nature treasures that we find on our walks. 
Being that it is summer, I have so very much enjoyed how we are able to flow in and out of our house so easily. 
The children often bound out the front door, onto our front lawn, where they play with a little fairy house that I have set up for them. 
I enjoyed setting up and organizing, this little "corner" right by our front door. Nestled in among potted flowers, a tree stump, and clover, it makes me happy just looking at it... and happier still when I find Katia playing with it. 


Sarah (right): I don't have a designated workspace or office per se, but I do have a couch corner that I have transformed into my office. Through rituals of setting up the pillow just so, leaving a warm tea on the wooden end table beside me that I never drink, perching my MacBook or notepaper on my cushioned laptop desktop, and turning on background jazz, I am firmly established in my own little corner. These days I am ramping up to tackle a freelance project the likes of which I haven't toyed with before, and I frequently return to my figurative drawing board to gauge which story ideas would make suitable pitches for publication. Today, I am using my corner to read. I have the luxury of being self-employed and controlling my workload, and I have found that in order to keep the gateways of creativity open, I must make time to read. For fun. Nothing parenting-related, not articles on why yoga is important, but good novels, exploratory non-fictions that enlighten me. To the couch with me! I've got a meeting with Donna Tartt!

The well-known poem by Robert Frost, The Road Not Taken ends, "Two roads diverged in a wood, and I-- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."
Two women, who became friends via the magic of the Internet, were both living life on roads less traveled by. Circumstance had them both live in Whitehorse for a short time, where they became best friends. Life's map has them currently in differing geographic locations, but their connection and camaraderie continue as they continue on paths of motherhood, friendship, creativity and discovery. The Two Roads Project is our effort to reconnect with each other and our inner artists on a weekly basis, each Friday. (Or thereabouts. We don't always know which day of the week it is).
Sarah writes here

No comments:

Post a Comment

Oh goody....I love comments!