Pages

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Friday, June 20, 2014

two roads project :: afternoon


afternoon

Johanna (left): Afternoons are all about striking a balance. 
With school out for the summer, I find that I am trying to meet both Noah and Katia's needs, and right now we are sort of out of a rhythm. 
While Katia is used to napping in the afternoon, Noah is used to going to school. She craves a quiet, restful time, while Noah needs to be entertained and engaged. 
We've been spending time in the afternoon doing both. 
We swim for an hour every afternoon, and often take a walk with Ryder. Sometimes naps happen early in the afternoon, sometimes later. It is summer after all, so I am trying to let go of the idea of a schedule, and instead, just let the kids tell me what they need and want. 

Sarah (right): I'd like to say that when 1:00 rolls around, I put my feet up, open a book and chilllllll out. What really happens during the girls' nap time, is I capitalize on the time I have to get things done around the house without my little helpers at my side. I get house chores done, fix what needs fixing, and prepare dinner. Making dinner at 4:00 with a bunch of hungry little ladies crying, whining, flailing at my feet is not a fun way to cook. So, I make their supper while they take their siestas, taking my time. This way, we get to eat home-cooked whole foods and avoid the frantic hour before suppertime. I usually listen to a podcast, letting the recipe develop with new additions, substitutions, a lot of experimenting. Today, I prepared a tomato sauce for tomorrow's pizza: onions, carrots, garlic, tomatoes, tomato paste, oregano, fresh basil from the garden, salt, pepper and a little brown sugar. I simmered it, and then pureed it, (because I absolutely cannot leave any chunks of anything or risk facing the mutiny of the five-year-old). It's a good batch, this one. 

The well-known poem by Robert Frost, The Road Not Taken ends, "Two roads diverged in a wood, and I-- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."
Two women, who became friends via the magic of the Internet, were both living life on roads less traveled by. Circumstance had them both live in Whitehorse for a short time, where they became best friends. Life's map has them currently in differing geographic locations, but their connection and camaraderie continue as they continue on paths of motherhood, friendship, creativity and discovery. The Two Roads Project is our effort to reconnect with each other and our inner artists on a weekly basis, each Friday. (Or thereabouts. We don't always know which day of the week it is).
Sarah writes here.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Oh goody....I love comments!