Pages

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Friday, March 28, 2014

two roads project



ritual

Johanna (left): There is one family tradition that I felt was important to carry on for my 
little family, and that is the ritual of saying a blessing at dinner time. 
As a little girl, we would always say a blessing before meal time, and the significance was always there for me. 
Holding hands, slowing down, saying thank you for our blessings, I knew that I wanted this to be a daily practice in our home. 
These days, we say our blessing not in the most conventional sense. Sometimes we sing Johnny Appleseed. Sometimes we forget at the beginning of a meal and say it half way through. Sometimes the kids are too hungry and start eating before we say it. But all that doesn't matter. To me, it is the act that matters. Just the simple gesture and pause. And I look forward to it everyday. 


Sarah (right): It has stuck with me since childhood. You know the little nursery rhyme: "Starlight, start bright, first star I see tonight. I wish I may, I wish I might, have this wish I wish tonight." I can remember my Dad, bent down to meet me at eye level, looking out my bedroom window with me, into the night sky. He taught me the little song and showed me how to wish. The magic inherent in the wish is only activated if it is recited on the very first star I see. So be it: I can be driving, leaving an event, in a parking lot and when I look up and see it is a clear night, I stop what I am doing, and focus on the first star that catches my eye. I say it softly, to myself. I always will. It's a silly little ritual, but it gives me a reason to stop, slow down and send a wish out to the universe. I am superstitious, you won't be surprised to learn, so I cannot tell you for what I wish, but it's the same wish every time. My little secret.

The well-known poem by Robert Frost, The Road Not Taken ends, "Two roads diverged in a wood, and I-- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."
Two women, who became friends via the magic of the Internet, were both living life on roads less traveled by. Circumstance had them both live in Whitehorse for a short time, where they became best friends. Life's map has them currently in differing geographic locations, but their connection and camaraderie continue as they continue on paths of motherhood, friendship, creativity and discovery. The Two Roads Project is our effort to reconnect with each other and our inner artists on a weekly basis, each Friday. (Or thereabouts. We don't always know which day of the week it is).

1 comment:

  1. These are both lovely. We used to say a blessing at dinner during special meals - with my grandparents, at holidays, etc. Now, with the young babe, meals are a some what hurried affair most times. It is great that you still try to keep some part of the blessing with your kids. Sarah - that is a wonderful memory that you have with your Dad.

    ReplyDelete

Oh goody....I love comments!