Pages

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Friday, February 14, 2014

two roads project


love 

Sarah (left): When I formally agreed to love him, when I committed to him and said my vows, I entered a contract I didn't fully understand. I was 22 years old, and, one could argue, quite naive. Not foolish, because I entered this covenant deliberately, and whole-heartedly, but I was inexperienced. How could I know that agreeing to be true to him and honour him all the days of my life would be one of the hardest tasks I'd never stop learning? That's one of the great things about being human-- we are limited from knowing what's to come. That limit tests our resolve. It has tested Rich and I. And oh, in its darkest days, love has unmasked us, vulnerable, in front of each other. But when things are well? We soar. The ancient Chinese philosopher Lao-tzu wrote that, "being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage." Today especially, I celebrate the love I share with my chosen life partner. I smile to think we are blessed with a love so uniquely our own, that only the two of us will ever understand.

Johanna (right): For me, there is something so powerful about the image of a heart. An artist that I greatly admire, Jim Dine, has spent many years drawing, painting and sculpting the iconic symbol of love. 
When I see the symbol, I am reminded of goodness, compassion and kindness. The image of a heart is like a visual language, gently and subtly reminding me of what I should strive for in my life. 
This week, I picked up my paint brush and in some quiet moments, took the time to paint a heart. I plan to place this little affirmation somewhere visible, so that I can be inspired daily to show love to those around me and to myself. And once I am done with it, I plan on sending this little painting on a journey in the mail to someone who I think could use the inspiration too. 
Happy love day dear friends. xox


.....


The well-known poem by Robert Frost, The Road Not Taken ends, "Two roads diverged in a wood, and I-- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."
Two women, who became friends via the magic of the Internet, were both living life on roads less traveled by. Circumstance had them both live in Whitehorse for a short time, where they became best friends. Life's map has them currently in differing geographic locations, but their connection and camaraderie continue as they continue on paths of motherhood, friendship, creativity and discovery. The Two Roads Project is our effort to reconnect with each other and our inner artists on a weekly basis, each Friday. (Or thereabouts. We don't always know which day of the week it is).
Sarah writes at Cure For Boredom.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Oh goody....I love comments!